THO FOGY SPOOKY BEATIFULL



As I poked my head out of the tent the sea fog showed me who is the boss and I happily tucked in for some extra kip.

At the end it ended to be afternoon paddle because of the fog and also me faffing about as usually and chatting to the fisherman.

I set of from the harbour which is based on the west coast of Mullet Island. It was straight into strong wind but I would rather the wind then the heat. I had tide with me which was not much of a help, it just made the sea bit choppy.

As I turned Glendorragh Point one of the most scenic landscape raised in front of me.

Bay full of caves and cliffs which looked like bombarded by meteorites, stacks and rocks of all shapes I cannot even describe it.  All at one spot of few miles (with no landings of course) and to top it up was the Eris Head drifting out of sea fog back lit with the sun an amazing scenery.

Place where solo paddler feels the ave of beauty and the insignificance of being, place so beautiful yet intimidating at the same moment. I really enjoyed the waves in the spot it all spiced it up not heavy swell just wind waves just perfect paddling.

I closed my mouth and set to get the heck out of there.

I avoided the main flow of the headland and took a channel between the islands to the other side into the Broad Haven Bay...  I got visited by maybe 20 fulmars which was great I never seen so many of them at once.

The sea fog was still pretty thick and I did not fancy to cross the bay in it which is another 9 km and then coastline of another 12 km  with no landing.

I did not wanna stop too early either so I decided to rail the coastline and if the fog blows out I would jump across to a beach 5 km down into the bay.

Luckily the fog did blow out and I made the crossing still f4 headwind but great ride anyway.

The headland was full of stacks and looked like from a movie set it had big hat of cloud on top of it and looked all spooky. I enjoyed seeing the clouds moving over the top of the stacks as it was like time lapse movie.

After lunch I decided to give it a try and see if the clouds moved out a bit.  It was half hour paddle just to see if I can get through but I was almost sure it would not be passable. But it looked so amazing that I wanted to explore it anyway.

As I got to the stacks the wind accelerated and it was quite a battle to pass them.

With all the fog and clouds it looked all spooky and very intimidating. I kind of knew this is a no go. The vis was about a 1 km but it could be 1 m in a matter of seconds. I thought I could at least go around the island but with the howling wind I just went naaa lets get the hell out of here and I surfed down wind out of this scary fogy spooky and beautiful place. Then I had an idea hmm umbrella I will sail back to where I came from.

Pulled the umbrella out opened it and it went directly into the too windy mode and it turned inside out. Now I was stuck with pretty much 2m long object in one hand and paddle in the other it was a comical situation I sorted the non sailing device and explored some really cool coastline on the way back to the beach...

Highlight of the day... Definitely the west side of Eris Head. I will be coming back to explore just this place for sure.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The last day is Saturday

Poop in a pipe

The toilet snooze