the day before the last

Today I woke up really early eager to go and crack on as many km as possible so my last day would be as shot as it can be.
As I lifted my head and looked into the harbour there was no sea to be seen. It is crazy couple of days ago the tidal range was really tiny and as the Irish Sea opens up the range goes huge again. I was several hundred meters from the sea no point dragging the boat I just wasted energy. I will wait for the water to come to me.
I went to forage for bakery and cafe but it was too early so I got just bananas and coffee from news agent.
I set of into slight tail wind and enjoyed the moment I knew it is not gonna be long lived.
As I said it is not over till it is over the day shifted into hard grid just to remind me that I am not gonna get it so easy.
I tried to stop for lunch at Kilkeel harbour but it was proper fishing harbour with big trawlers and really stinky and filthy so I carried on for a bit and almost fell asleep while paddling it was time to go for rest.
I eat way more then I would normally do just to keep some energy up the last break I had was in Donegal 10 days ago. So for lunch it was mackerel in a tin, cheese, cheese biscuits, peanuts, banana, more biscuits and sweet tea.
I fell asleep and after while I was bitten by some blood sucking bugger. It woke me up and I set of again the last crossing of the trip Cooley point to Clogher Head 20 km crossing across 2 bays Dundalk bay and another little one with no name.
It was all day fight and slight headwind and then the wind picked up to f 5 and it ended as a slog of 5km.h the last two hours. I just kept digging and the other shore was getting closer painfully slow.
All month I was memorising how buildings look from certain distance it is very handy to know how roughly far from shore you are, first u see just plain buildings then u recognise a roof after while tiny windows and as you can see more detail it gives you guideline how far I am from the shore.
As I got to the headland there was about a metre high clapotis and I did not even bother to use the thigh grips just paddled through it with my legs together. The west coast stretched my comfort zone a bit hihi. And the Quantum is super stable beast.
I was planning to go as far as I can but I could feel my left wrist last couple of hours so I decided to knock it on the head after 58 km there was more energy maybe for another hour but as they say stop at the best to live the rest. I am now at Clogherhead and about 45 km to go.

Comments

  1. I know when I feel the end is in sight, I slow down/relax, maybe a bit too much...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The last day is Saturday

Poop in a pipe

The toilet snooze