Poop in a pipe



I woke up in little harbour which is located in Redford Bay and has great view of Dunmore Head alias Giant Causeway, pretty nice place. It was great night under the sky again and in the morning I did not bother with some serious breakfast, just biscuits dipped in peanut butter and tea. The plan for the morning was to hug the coast against the tide and make my way to Ballycastle, wait there for the tide to turn and set off and go as far as I can southwards into the Irish sea. Meanwhile I will forage for food.

The first section of the paddle took 2 hours and hugging the coast paid off I was watching tide races and was quite happy where I was telling myself this place must be mayhem when it all kick off.  Nasty place but very pretty. Highlight of the morning was being faster than 2 fisherman guys fighting the current in a motor boat and me kicking their butt. It is great feeling not to be the snailiest creature on the sea for once. When I met them later in the bay I paddled to them and reminded them that I kicked their arse at least for a split second which came into lots of laughter on both sides.

Then quick paddle to Ballycastle and shopping.

The main trick of experienced paddler is to forage for food with full belly otherwise one buys food which does not fit in the kayak.

So I went to restaurant and got myself a starter, main course, and cheesecake which was on special offer. In other words I stuffed my face as much as I could before I go back to instant noodles and biscuits diet again. Then coffee, to the shop and at 3 o clock I was on the water pretty much on time.

As I was approaching Fair Head I could feel the speed picking up to 11 km.h already and as I passed the headland I got flushed through as a poop through bright new waste pipe at 15 km.h.

The place was luckily calm just lots of boils an really fast current an I though that I could be in Dublin for dinner.

Unfortunately the current went straight to the middle of Irish Sea so I had to jump off the belt and head my way to Torr head there I got into huge eddy where my 15km.h plummeted to 5.6 km.h. So I kept digging and hoped the eddy is gonna end on the headland which it did so then it was just straight forward digging at 12 km.h and singing my voodoo sounds till half 9 in the evening to Ballygalley. Today it was 65 km in total and I think I am less than 200 to Dublin so spirits are high and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but as they say it is not over till it is over.

 

Comments

  1. I hope the east coast gives U a few surprises too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you stop anywhere in Donegal & how did you find paddling round Malin head there can be some fast currents there

    ReplyDelete
  3. At last a circumnavigator said something nice about our wonderful piece of Irish coastline.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The last day is Saturday

The toilet snooze