The seal of Mizen head

After day of rest in Baltimore I had an objective to pass Mizen Head and do open crossing to Dursey Island. 30 km of open water plus 17 km jump from Calf Islands to Browhead is not to be taken lightly. 47 exposed km of 65 but I had rested for it and i was ready for it too so 7.30pm I set off for 12  hours on the water with favourable forecast. As I was going through islands in Roaring Bay i saw two sleeping seals in the water just their noses bobbing up and down.


At the moment I remembered all the injustice those fluffy bullies did to me. At least 6734times they sneaked on me from behind  and splashed so loudly that i soiled my pants.


The dark side got the better of me,  I pointed my finger at the monster and said “u are gonna pay for all your cousins did to me u little fluffy bastard I am gonna tickle you on your whiskers”.


My brain went into hunters override and I started to sneak in to my position for payback.


What I did not know was that the little villain knew I do not know that he knows what my plan is and he was just pretending to be asleep.


As I got to whiskers reach the little bastard grabed my hand and puled me over.




I was in shock

As you are ..

Of course the fluffy devil did not let my get close then 2 meters how ever I was entertaining myself with the story all the way to Browhead. Haha.


Crossings can be boring and one needs to find something to do.


The area was also great to practice finding position. Just through transits, without stopping, always good to brush off old skils. As I got to Browhead after cca 4 hours of paddling I decided to take break on a nice beach. For some reason I decided to check the forecast again and see what is on in my area and it was pretty much the same - force 1 to 2 southerly.


I checked Dursey area and the wind was predicted nw 3 gusting 5 in the evening. Last thing I wanted to do was finish 65 km crossing into f5 so I altered plans and went from Mizen head straight north to Sheeps Head and finish  by Bear island. Smaller crossing mentally simplier but practicaly the same commitment. There is no landings what so ever past Mizen head 23 km of commiting paddling.




Highlight of the day was Mizen head.. all just vertical cliffs  so the swell just reflects back from the half mooned bay and surrounding cliffs and all collides in the same area. It must be proper carnage when there is some weather and place not for mistakes..


Comments

  1. You have a great trip ....I'm enjoy the read..Keep going

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The last day is Saturday

Poop in a pipe

The toilet snooze