The sea safary

After night under a clear ski I did think again  about church town (the holiday town) and said to myself they really have nice toilets.

The plan for the day was to cross from carnsore point to Hook head an open crossing of 39 km With Saltee island in the middle .

Is started earliish in the morning and set of into flooding current snailing my way forward in sluggish 5 km.h (anything below 7 km.h i decided to call snail pace)

As I was rounding Carnsore point i started feel the swell coming from the south which was mixing into opposing current flowing out of the bay completely

Windles weather created amazing clean waves and really great rides it distracted me for a while and i had to slap myself and remind  me that i am here on business and not for play so i carried on and snailed my way forward.
The temperature vas baking 22 degrees but it felt way more. 2 hours into the crossing i pulled my secret weapon. A golf umbrella and made snack break in lovely shade of my weather deflecting device.

Saltee islands were full of birds of all sorts but the one i like to see most are fulmars and puffins

There was no landing on the islands so stil in the boat i pulled out thermos flask with super porridge Sor lunch.And of i went to second leg of the crossing .

It was hazy so i took bearing  with my square protractor from the map and aimed the kayak 270 degrees west

On the second part I met porpoises and floated close to resting ganet and many more fulmars and other seabirds.

after while and another amberla break i was getting fatigued especially from the heat (I just do not handle well temperature above 20 degrees)

On big crossings the mind starts to dig into the darkest part of my soul and I am really starting to feel sorry for myself focusing on all the pains and aches of long hours sitting in one position and the obvious” WHY do i do that to myself? “ comes to mind.

At that moment fulmar comes from my left and i go spontaneously” hello my friend” (the first thing i said that day).i follow his flight and see him descending to the surface and I see a shark fin !!!!!!!.

That wakes me up from the lethargy and i am fully alert a SHARK!!!.

My mind goes into THE JAWS mode and i am preparing my paddle to hit the shark of course it was 99.9 percent positive basking shark BUT it still is a FRIKIN SHARK.

Bare in mind I am the man from the land with no sea and the only sharks we know are man eating machines on tv.

Anyway at least it stretched my neck muscles from turning my head around quite often 😁

Little rest in Slade drying the southern hemisphere of my body for while and then i hoped to Dunmore and as a proper expedition kayaker i decided to practice living of the land.
I vent to forage for food .found lokal chief and traded few shiny bits of metal for proper cheeseburger and chips,.

Hafk

Comments

  1. Enjoying the blog - keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying the blog ! Best of luck. May wind and swell always be to stern.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The last day is Saturday

Poop in a pipe

The toilet snooze